The hours that are usually spent observing my Classroom Mentor (and other teachers in my school) teaching are now spent writing papers and preparing lesson plans. The papers I'm writing are for my Penn classes and the lesson plans are for (you guessed it) student teaching. Everything I'm doing for class and student teaching is interrelated in the Grand Scheme of things--I'm aware of this and value the reflection and depth needed to complete both the papers and the lesson plans.
I think I am just a little nervous about taking over my first class next week (oh yeah, did I mention that?) I know I will be more than prepared. Between the constant counseling I receive from my Classroom Mentor, and the weekly sessions with my Penn Mentor and Penn professors, in addition to the support exchanged within my cohort, I feel armed with a TON of tools and tidbits of advice. I've also been gradually incorporating myself into the classroom with the help of my Classroom Mentor, by delivering the classroom and/or homework assignment each day. The kids are used to seeing me in their classroom. Now, I just need to get used to playing the lead teaching role.
Okay, just writing about next week is making me a little more excited than nervous. I know it will be great, I just have to use the countless resources provided for me in this great program. One step at a time, right? So while I'm not out picking apples and going to the awesome haunted house at Eastern State Penitentiary this weekend, I will be prepping for the first class where I take the reigns--I think that's pretty cool too.
No comments:
Post a Comment